How to Change the Time in Your Kia
Year after year, we march ever forward in time to a steady beat. That is, until Daylight Savings interrupts with its crazy two-step. That means changing the clock on all sorts of electronics, including, but not limited to, some car clocks. If you happen to own a Kia, changing the clock is a piece of cake and will barely register as a blip on your radar.
The Secret is the Built-In GPS
Your modern Kia has a secret: it can tell time! Because most models have GPS built into them, you don’t have to do anything to change the clock, it will update when the time changes locally. It’s a pretty sweet deal if you can get it. So, not only will this GPS system make sure you can find your location in space, it makes sure you’re always oriented in time.
Manual Clock Settings
If your clock doesn’t automatically adjust for Daylight Savings Time, you may be forced to take the situation into your own hands. Don’t worry, it’s still pretty simple!
- Start your car or place it in accessory mode.
- Locate the setup button for your display. In some vehicles, this will be located below the display as part of a strip of control buttons. In others, it may be on the side of the display. If
- you have a touchscreen system, you’ll also find the setup icon on the home screen.
- Select “Date/Time” from the setup screen.
- Check the “GPS Time” option if you’d prefer your vehicle set its own clock based off the GPS system.
- Choose “Daylight Savings Time” if the time is still incorrect once “GPS Time” is active. This should adjust the clock by one hour. If it does not, you will need to change the time manually.
- Disable “GPS Time” by unchecking the checkbox.
- Change the time or date by using the up and down arrows on the screen. You’ll also need to be sure to select “AM” or “PM.” Once your time has been selected, you can exit the screen.
Resetting Your Vehicle Clock
Some Kias, especially 2014-2018 models, have encountered a problem with the clock display that causes the clock to disappear entirely. If this happens to you, there are several ways to reset the clock to make it reappear.
It sounds simple, and sometimes it really is. Make sure your car is outside where it can get a strong GPS signal, and simply hit the reset button. This may be in one of several places, including hidden with the SD slot, so refer to your manual for the location if you can’t find it immediately. You’ll also need a pen or paperclip because the button is very small.
- If your display is complaining about “SD Card Removed,” or something similar, start by removing the SD card from its slot.
- Press the reset button as outlined in Method 1 and allow the unit to fully reboot itself.
- Reinstall the card and wait for the system to restart again.
- Give the car about three minutes to acquire the GPS signal. If your clock is displaying properly, you’re good to go.
- Enter your clock settings as outlined above and turn off the GPS Time option.
- Go through the entire process for Method 2
- Once you’ve verified all is well, enter the clock settings again and turn GPS Time back on.
- If the above three methods fail you, you may need to perform a hard reboot of your system.
- With your car off, remove the multimedia fuse from your smart junction box.
- Allow the vehicle to sit without power and the key out of the ignition for about 15 minutes.
- Reinstall the multimedia fuse.
- Turn the car on, or to accessory mode. Allow the system to fully load, plus about three minutes for the GPS signal to be acquired. Your clock should display correctly.
When Your Clock Refuses to Display
If you’re still having issues with the clock display, you may need to call in an expert. Fortunately, your team at Lawrence Kia is standing by, ready to diagnose any issues that may arise.
Do you have a question or idea you would like to be featured in a blog post?
Fill out this simple form.
Are you a car enthusiast or novice and want to feature your car story on our blog?
Fill out this form to be featured on our blog.
Search Our Blog
Our RSS feed
Sales & Allstate Hours:
Mon - Thu 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Fri - Sat 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Service & Parts Hours:
Mon - Fri 7:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Sat 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
- 2016 Kia Models
- 2017 Kia Models
- 2018 Kia Models
- 2020 Kia Models
- 2021 Kia Models
- 2022 Kia Models
- 2023 Kia Models
- Car Accessories
- How to Guides
- Kansas City Recreation
- Kia Accessories
- Kia Carnival
- Kia Features
- Kia Forte
- Kia News
- Kia Niro
- Kia Optima
- Kia Sedona
- Kia Seltos
- Kia Sorento
- Kia Soul
- Kia Sportage
- Kia Stinger
- Kia Telluride
- Kia UVO
- Lawrence Kia Sale
- Lawrence Recreation
- New Kia
- Photo Contest
- Remote Start